What to Wear Now
The best jewelry styles of the season
All you need to know about watches
The time may be accessible in many places, including our phones, but the elegance and ultimate practicality of a watch will never make it obsolete. The style evoked by a watch alone makes it an essential for any jewelry wardrobe. Get to know the basics of watches.
Anatomy & materials
At its simplest, a watch is a watch case and a band. The watch case houses the mechanisms and has a crystal on top that reveals the dial. The band is, of course, what holds the watch case and attaches to your wrist. Sometimes, a band that is metal may be referred to as a bracelet and other materials, such as leather, may be called a strap.
Some ordinary watch materials
- Alternative metals: titanium, stainless steel
- Traditional metal: gold
- Rubber and resin
- Diamond or crystal accents
Watches have three predominant types, two of them traditional and one of them quite new and modern.
- Manual models require winding while automatic models rely on the arm motion of the owner, which initiates the winding.
- Can require frequent maintenance
- Battery operated and no winding required
- Feature analog or digital displays
- Battery operated and intended to be connected with your smartphone
- Fine watch designers have created designs that resemble traditional styles
There are a few top additional features when it comes to watches. They are all equally practical and cool. The most in demand include
- Calendar, tide and moon phase trackers
- Time keeping (or chronograph) abilities