HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT GEMSTONE JEWELRY
Publish Date: May 13, 2020
Choosing the right gemstone jewelry starts with understanding the color (or hue), clarity, and carat. Some believe that each gemstone also brings its own unique powers, from inspiring creativity to warding off evil. While many gemstones can be found in nature, lab-created gemstones are also an excellent option. Whether you’re shopping for a gift or looking to treat yourself to something special, here’s what you should know about the gemstones Kay has to offer.
EXPLORE GEMSTONES FROM A-Z
Popular for its color-changing properties, alexandrite is thought to bring luck, good fortune, and love.
• Alternative June birthstone
• 55th anniversary gemstone
• Blueish green in daylight to purplish red in incandescent light
• Known for its toughness and resistance to heat, light, and everyday chemicals
Symbolizing hope, health, and youth, aquamarine is considered a powerful meditation tool that heightens mental clarity.
• Birthstone: March
• 19th anniversary gemstone
• Comes in shades of blue with hints of cyan and green
• Can be somewhat brittle and is sensitive to chips and scratches
The color of royalty and a traditional symbol of peace, tranquility, and protection, amethyst is thought to inspire creativity and promote intelligence.
• Birthstone: February
• 6th anniversary gemstone
• Ranges from pale lilac to deep violet
• A member of the quartz family with good toughness
Symbolizing wisdom, sincerity, and bravery, blue topaz is said to have temperature-cooling properties that soothe intense moods.
• Birthstone: December
• 4th anniversary gemstone
• Although topaz comes in a wide range of colors, blue is the most popular
• Excellent durability makes it perfect for everyday wear
Taking its name from the French word for lemon, citrine is said to represent happiness, power, and health, while helping to fight feelings of depression and insecurity.
• Birthstone: November
• Yellow hues ranging from light to golden to brownish-red
• Good toughness makes it suitable for everyday wear
A classic choice for engagement rings because of their elegance and versatility, diamonds symbolize eternal love, invincibility, and fearlessness.
• Birthstone: April
• 60th anniversary gemstone
• Little or no color is the most popular, but they come in a variety of hues
• Considered the hardest gemstone, they are extremely durable