What carat weight engagement ring should i buy?
It's an age-old question: Does the size of a diamond matter? Unfortunately, there is no standard answer. It all depends on other factors about the diamond, the qualities known as the 4Cs.
What you do need to know about size:
- The appearance of size is dependent on more than carat weight. Cut, setting and overall design can make a difference in how large the diamond appears.
- A large diamond of poor quality will show flaws very obviously. Because of this, it is recommended that you prioritize quality over size.
- The average engagement ring diamond size in the United States is between 1.08 - 1.2 carats. However, the average carat weight varies depending on age and location. For instance, millennials tend to spend less on diamonds than older generations, making their average diamond size lower. You shouldn’t let the average carat weight influence what you are willing to spend, though. Go with what you can afford.
Other things you should consider about your partner:
- Think of their profession. Do they use their hands a lot? Might they worry about damaging the diamond? By the same token, how do they choose to present themself in their profession?
- The attention factor. Undoubtedly, a big, beautiful diamond engagement ring can attract a crowd. If this isn't something they feel comfortable with, emphasizing other elements in the ring could be the way to go.
Shop Engagement Rings by Carat Weight